Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! I can't get the Oil Cap Off

Posted by alexis717 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 15:36

Now don't laugh. :) I just replaced the ECTS (engine coolant temperator sensor) on my 1996 Saturn SC2. When I finished I checked my oil and it's low. BUT, I can't get the cap off. Does anyone have any ideas. I would greatly appreciate any help. It just keeps turning. I've also tried pushing down and turning at the same time. That didn't do it either.

Alexis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! I can't get the Oil Cap Off

Never mind... a pry bar can work wonders.

o

I had the same problem with my wife's '97 Saturn with dual overhead cams. I have traced the problem to shrinkage of the valve cover. It is made of fiber filled thermoplastic and is not dimensioanaly stable - it shrinks so much so that it seizes the oil fill cap. I believe that this cap is a quarter turn and then lift up to remove. It has an O-ring seal. Once the cap becomes tight in the hole, it is very difficult to tell when the cap has turned to it stop for lifting out. it does not lift out as intended. I ruined the cap and stops on my wife's Saturn by forcing the cap to turn beyond the stop.

Once I got the cap off, I removed the O-ring and sanded the outer diamenter down a bit, and then cleaned the cap, and put the O-ring back on. This helped some.

The fix is to intall a new valve cover and cap. However, a year or so later, the problem will surface again unless there has been design changes on the parts.

o

Thanks!!!! Don't overturn it, just pry it up, shouldn't take too much force!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here