Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broken Engine Mount

Posted by reekola (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 07 at 14:39

I have a broken right front engine mount on 90 Nissan Maxima. Been that way for about a year now, but have not noticed any adverse effects. I know I need to fix it, but how critical is it and what can happen if I leave it as is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broken Engine Mount

Let me run this by you. They don't install broken engine
mounts at the factory. As the engine moves it can rip out your trans mounts. Brake your exhaust system. If the throttle jams it could get very exciting. FIX IT. If you are involved in an accident and they find your broken mount you have no coverage. Yes, they can do that. Bottom
line. You are operating an unsafe vehical and not fit for
the road. your asking for trouble. you just haven't been caught yet.

o

I agree, fix it asap. The extra motion is hard on other things. Don't know about your car in particular, but it's usually not that hard or costly of a job to do anyway. No point in letting it go. jmo

o

Thanks. Just what I needed to know. I'll schedule an appointment to get it done.

o

Well, I got it replaced for $180. They found another one where two of the bolts were stripped and ordered a new mount for that one to be replaced. There was always a "clunk" when I started out. I just thought my transmission was slipping, it's gone now and everything is much smoother when starting out or it shifts to next gear! They said it looked like the engine was going to flip over when it was revved! I now know not to delay important repairs like that! Especially when the cost is not that much. Thanks for your advice.

o

Reekola. Exellent. Glad you got the hint. FIX IT NOW. It could be half the cost now than what it would be in a month. Good for you. Yes they were not kidding. The engine
could " flip " . I've seen engines move in their mounts and
cause some serious damage when the gas peddle linkage jammed. You ain't stopping this thing until you hit something. again, Good for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here