SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_ia

91 Explorer vs. 91 Maxima for 16 yo DD?

Laura_IA
19 years ago

I can't believe she's 16 already!

Hi all! We are in the market to buy a very used vehicle for my daughter who got her licence a couple months ago. We currently own a 97 Explorer and an '01 Aurora. She's mostly been driving the Explorer, but we want to get her her own vehicle so that I can actually drive mine again.

This weekend we went and looked at a lot of cars, but we are not really used to looking for vehicles in the $3k range. Doesn't buy much, I'll admit. We really want a safe, reliable vehcile that will hopefully last 3 or 4 years. Don't want to spend a lot since I imagine there could be some fender benders happening while she gains experience.

We did find at one lot a 91 Explorer Eddie Bauer with 125K miles and a 91 Nissan Maxima with 112K miles. They are both automatic, both loaded with all power, sunroof, etc. Both very clean and seem to be in very good shape, both priced at $3000. The Explorer is 4X4, the Nissan front wheel drive. We live in Iowa, so the 4X4 would come in handy occassionally in the winter. I know the Explorer would be more expensive to drive with gas prices the way they are, but I also can't help feeling it would be safer, and she's already been driving an Explorer, so it would be more familiar to her.

The high mileage on the Explorer doesn't bother me, as mine has 137K and it is still going very strong, but I'm not sure about the mileage on the Maxima. Will it last a while longer yet?

Help! I can't decide!

Comments (10)

Sponsored