Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repair $$

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 11:39

99 grand prix. Changed outer tierods, oxy sensor, oil. Several days later 1 coil failed. Code reader said #2 cyl was suspect. Changed plug, wire. Than found no spark. Changed coil. Runs fine. Replaced burned out bulb for speedo. Taking gauge assy out is interesting. And my kid thinks this is normal dad stuff. Any idea what these repairs would cost at shop?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repair $$

More than you'd want to pay. If this was done at a dealership, expect to pay $80 to $100 per hour for labor and shop charges. I'm guessing they'd need 1 hour to change the tierod ends, 1/2 hr for the oxygen sensor and another charge if they heed to reset the engine controller for a new sensor, Diagnose the misfire and repair, 1hr, replacing the speedo lamp could range from 1/2 hour to 2 hours or more depending on accessibility. Oil change and filter at an oil change shop is about $25 to $30.

At minimun, you have 3.5 hr @ 80 per hour or $280 and $30 for the oil change and filter. Add the cost of parts. If they encounter a problem, expect a greater charge.

Now about that Speedo lamp. Did you have to remove the instrument panel? If so, you should have relamped everything while you were in there.

o

When I was getting my tires rotated a few years ago, they were trying to tell me my tierods needed to be replaced and were asking me to pay about $500 for parts & labor. I thought that was high and, although it didn't really need to be done, I called a couple places and got 2 quotes for around half of that. I've never been back to that place (and my tierods are still doing fine!) Not all women are ignorant about cars and this really made me mad!! Anyway, that part of what you did would have been at least $250. Your kid is very lucky to have you, and hopefully interested in learning what you know. Well done!

o

I am having a problem with my 06 GP with 45k miles. It feels like a popping or a clicking when turning at low speeds. I don't have any problems at higher speeds or when driving straight. Any ideas what this might be? I appreciate any help.

o

Clicking when turning is usually CV joint. Remaned axles are pretty cheap.
The gauge cluster comes out with 2 screws. Yes I changed all "illuminate" bulbs. Clear bulb but red dash light. Must be a reddish film I cannot see. Maf died last year. I changed that too. Charged kid usual dad price.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here