Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Accuracy and tire pressure and nitrogen -again

Posted by earthworm (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 25, 06 at 11:14

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/04-24-2006/0004345800&EDATE=

And I would say that few , probably including me, do "religiously", check their tire pressures.
A huge error in the above story - the headline should read "Only 1 in 5 drivers DO properly check their tire pressures"..

And the forgotten thing about nitrogen vs regular compressed air is that far too much "regular" air is too moist, thus creating problems..
The compressors air source should be as clean and dry as possible; and more importantly a moisture filter should be used...
One more thing for me to work on, and I am far from the only one !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Accuracy and tire pressure and nitrogen -again

I don't think i've ever seen a commercial compressor that
dosen't have a moisture trap or water filter, how ever you call it. I myself have one on my home compressor. I don't
like seeing water squirt from my air tools. i don't think there is too much problem with water in tires anymore unless you fill your tire with a 12 volt car pump in a rain storm. i myself check my tires every day. I have to.
My wife and myself drive 60 miles one way to the city every
week and in 50 below temps. Cannot have a problem on the
road that is related to tires. that is either lazyness
or stupidity if you have a tire problem that a few pounds
air pressure would fix. don't get me started on nitrogen.
Too many old people out there that are not up to date and too many scientists that give you everything about nitrogen from A to Z but forget everything between. i use nitrogen in aluminum cast rims. no more leaks. Put a problem rim under water, with the tire on and inflated, and watch for bubbles through the metal. Put nitrogen in the tire and no more bubbles through the rim. go figure and i'm not talking about the bead either. i mean rim.
good post earthworm. keep up the good work. I didn't think
this topic would die. All the best guys and hope your summer brings you enough money for early retirement.

o
RE: Accuracy and tire pressure and nitrogen -again

My compressor has no water trap, as it is a cheap one - This I must fix!
The compressor at the bus place really pushed out the water! But I think these are exceptions to the rule..
Pumping water into a tire is not a good thing, even a little bit.
People who rave about the benefits of nitrogen point this out, but say nothing about the high cost, which could easily buy a compressor water filter/trap..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here