Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waxing a car using Orbital Waxer thing

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 11:08

Twice a year I clean my cars and wax them with S100 paste. The ole wipe on - wipe off is getting old...I am too! I have seen these polisher things and watched some videos on their use. If I understand correctly, most people are using them to remove swirls and scratches and if you use a DA (?) type you need to be real carefull not to screw up your paint.

The reccomendation is to buy one that says ORBITAL on the box so you can *not* mess up your paint. Is this correct? I have NO interest in worrying about swirls or scratches. I just want somthing that applies the wax and removes it instead of using my hands.

I am not interested in spending $100+ on a porter cable (?) brand that seems to be the rave.

The Harbor Freight and B & D have mixed reviews but if I find one labelled ORBITAL (?) won't that work as well as my hands wiping on and wiping off.

If cheap enough, do I buy two so I can apply wax to a section with one machine and then wipe it off with another. B&D outlets sometimes have these referb'd with full warranty for $22....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-random-orbit-waxer-polisher-43424.html.

In fact they have a 6" on for $18 and this one for $25. With 20% coupons I can have both for about $35.

Could I not apply tghe wax with the little on and then wipe off with the big one alternating a section of the car at a time?

o
RE: Waxing a car using Orbital Waxer thing

"The reccomendation is to buy one that says ORBITAL on the box so you can *not* mess up your paint. Is this correct?"

Yep, Orbital and DA polishers are pretty safe. Pro's use a rotory because they're fast, but it's real easy to burn the paint with those so they're not recommended for amatures.

As far as I know, anything you rub on or off by any means will leave a marks, either swirls or side to side.

I use a DA to apply the wax, and remove by hand. I try to do it twice a year, but have been falling behind with it since I got old and tired...and don't give a 'sh' anymore.

o

will it remove the wax as well....I am thinking of lining 2 of the HF puppies up at once and just going to town with them. My car is white and I do not have or see swirls...just like getting a coat or two of wax on to keep it portected...

o

"will it remove the wax as well"

Yes, but my experience has been it forms clumps on the bonnet and then makes marks on the paint surface. I suppose the solution to that would be to by extras and change them out if and when that happens. For me, applying the stuff is the hard part. Wiping it off is pretty easy. jmo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here