Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
83 Jeep CJ-7 Oil Seal Replacement

Posted by davedenn (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 11:00

I need to replace the oil seal in the timing chain cover on my 83 Jeep CJ-7. Does anyone have any tips on how to best do this? Do I need to completely remove the timing chain cover to do it?

Thanks,

Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 83 Jeep CJ-7 Oil Seal Replacement

The oldest factory manuals that I have for Jeeps is 1992, but I believe the basic parts of the engines did not change much during that period. My manual shows that the proceduew is the same for the 2.5 L, 4 cyl; and 4.0 L, 6 cyl engines. The outer seal for the crankshaft can be replaced without removing the timing chain cover.

1. Discoonect the battery.

2. Remove fan shield.

3. Remove accessoty belt.

(The manual did not mention removing the radiator, but I recommend it. It will give you much more working room and will reduce the likelihood of damaging the radiator cooling fins.)

4. Remove the vibration damper pulley. A puller will be needed. There is a key in the crankshaft - don't loose it.
Remove the key. It could damage the new seal if the seal is forced over the key.

5. Dig out the old seal.

6. Lubricate the press fit surfaces and the seal lip.

7. Press in the new seal. It will be helpful if you have a seal press tool. However, one can improvise using a screw in the end of the crankshaft with a washer and spacers. A large socket may work.

8. Put the key in the keyway and press on the vibration damper pulley and install its retaining nut. Torque to spec.

Finish the assembly and re-connect the battery.

One thing to watch for: If the front main bearing is worn or the crank worn out of round, the new seal may not hold for long. The small wobble of a crank permitted by worn bearings can eventually defeat the seal.

Secondly, if the sealing surface on the crank is scored and/or pitted, the new seal may leak.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here