SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_228

Which old beater do I repair?

mary_228
19 years ago

I have two vehicles to choose from. We'd like the car to last three more years, with about 3,000 miles per year. This car will be driven mostly in winter when my husband won't drive the new vette (a nice problem to have, I realize).

'93 Ford Explorer 108K : A serious gas leak(we keep a bucket under the car to catch the drips) is what we are considering repairing, no estimate avail of cost until tank is dropped. Our mechanic has stated that the car is reaching the end of its useful life. Other deficits: 4 wheel drive no longer works, suspension shot, no a/c, wheel, ball joint and U joint all have worn or loose bearings. Total repair cost since '93 is $4200 which includes power steering pump, frozen front wheel cylinders, exhaust system tuneups, tires, routine maintenance.

'97 Ford Contour 68K : need new transmission, ($1300). We have already replaced the a/c, several sensors, cylinder head gasket, valve cover gasket, relined and machined drums on rear brakes. Total spent $3500 over past 2 years.

Any opinions? And how do we get rid of the other car? Who would buy it?

Thanks

Comments (31)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH