Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barstool and Body Shop question for you...

Posted by acey (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 30, 05 at 9:48

I have posted in the furniture forum as well, but let me run this question past those of you who know something about auto body shops....

I need to take apart 2 barstools made of metal, but not sure what kind of metal (iron, steel, etc). The column stem and arms are of hollow metal, in a grainy (like teeny sand)whitish finish. I assume this is spray paint or what they call powder coated ( I don't know what exactly that means).

I will remove the upholstered seat cushions and seat backs and recover them.

The upholsterer guy suggested two things to me...either I rough the metal up a bit with 400 grade sandpaper, then spray paint them myself, but even better he said I should bring the frames to a body shop for a more professional job.

Do body shops take on jobs such as this? Would they think I was a nut to call up and ask them if they would paint a couple barstools for me? Any body shop people out there who would know if that is a good idea?

Ideas, suggestions appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barstool and Body Shop question for you...

Some of the smaller ones do (do not even call the big chain type outfits) they have a spray booth and spray equipment that will give you a great smooth finish however the cost will be high unless you do all the prep work yourself and if not prepped correctly the super smooth finish will show every flaw in you prep work. I would probably invest in some new ones or just grab a can of spray paint from the hardware and go at it myself. If you really want a super dursble finish and have lots of spare cash check into the powdercoating process lots of motorcycle shops that do painting work have the perfect setup for small parts like barstools etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here