Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
howling boat rack

Posted by timbulb (dojadoja@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 9:44

I know there was a similar question before but, what are some tips for making my large boat rack on my truck not howl so much. It is a square tube, full box type of rack.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: howling boat rack

are the tube ends open? If so, put some plugs in them.

o

Nope there are no open ends

o

First, the cause should be identified. Is it the tubing vibrating in the wind, or is it a noise due air blowing over some feature including the tubing?

Tubing with holes perpendicular to the air flow can howl like and out of tune flute. This would be akin to drilled holes on the top or bottom of the tubes.

If the tubes are resonating, this is harder to fix. One part of the solution is to move the resonant frequency out of the range of the forcing function, usually by stiffening which increases the resonant frequency. Adding vibration dampening can help. A thick coating of bed liner glop may help. But, I understand that once the liner coating is applied, it is hard to remove, so you may wish to experiment with removable stuff before applying some thing permanent. Tightly wrap one of the tubes with black plastic tape or duct tape. Use several layers. If this damps the vibration, then consider going to something more permanent. (Good ol duct tape. What'd we do without it?)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here