Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lincoln was smoking

Posted by jerbear58 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 9:41

My daughter was driving my 1997 Lincoln Continental on a short trip, about 8 miles. Just before she reached our house, the car started smoking with a burning rubber smell. She was able to pull it into the garage without a problem, but now it will not start. The engine turns over just fine, the oil and coolant levels are both normal. My first thought was that the serpentine belt might have broken, but that seems to be fine as well.

Any ideas about what to check next would be greatly appreciated. Money is tight right now, and I'm really hoping to be able to fix this myself without having to pay for a tow and a mechanic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lincoln was smoking

My first suggestion is not to drive a burning car into your garage.

o

First, you and we need to know where the smoke was coming from. Next, it helps to know the kind of smoke. oil? hot brakes? burning insulation? the acrid smell of diodes or scr? brake fluid? radiator fluid? etc.

o
RE: Lincoln was smoking; He was tall

Can you read the trouble codes? This could be helpful.

Since the engine cranks ok, we can rule out the battery and starter. This leaves fuel supply and ignition, but those systems include numerous items and failure modes.

Look the car over carefully to find what was burning/smoking. What was it?

From what you have said, the engine was running ok until shut down. It would not start afterward. Is this correct?

o

Yes, the engine seemed to be running fine beforehand and now will not start. It is always more difficult to figure out if anything was amiss since my 18 year-old daughter was driving. I've looked things over as close as I can without finding an obvious source of the smoke. There is one wiring harness close the engine manifold which looks very cracked and perhaps melted. All of the fuses are still good so there were no obvious shorts.

o

Did she prechance drive the car until it ran out of gasoline and barely made it into the garage? She would not have been the first teen-ager who has done this.

Check on how much fuel you have.

Another source of smoke is liquid leaking onto the exhaust manifold. A little oil dropping onto the manifold can raise a lot of smoke, and since it gets burned away, the evidence is sometimes hard to see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here