SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piddlerdad3

Replacing Brakes - Honda Odyssey

piddlerdad3
18 years ago

Nothing major here, but i need to replace the disc brakes (front) on my 2001 Honda Odyssey minivan. Anything special i need to know about? should i turn the rotors? i've heard different theories. the squealing has just started, so the rotors are not really "damaged" and i sense no pulsating while braking that would lead me to be concerned with warpage. the van rides very smooth. We bought this vehicle used, and i suspect this will be the 2nd time the front brake pads will be replaced. Van has 95K miles on it.

Also, before they started squealing, i was hearing a similar but not so intense noise from the back brakes. i'll be checking them. will i need to grease wheel bearings when doing the drum brakes on the back? anything i need to know about back there? i've replaced brake pads and shoes before, and on each vehicle i seem to find new surprises.

i plan on buying the pads / shoes from a local auto parts store (O'Reilly's in Dallas area). anything else i need to purchase besides the pads themselves and maybe some lubricating grease for the caliper pins? i have money to buy inexpensive hardware and parts kits for the brake job. but i don't want to overlook them or be ignorant when i go to the store; and i want to do this right.

i don't have much time to spare to waste a bunch of trips back and forth when doing this & too broke to take the van to a mechanic right now.

Thanks for any help, dennis

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths