Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pontiac Grand am 98 Idle high

Posted by deb963 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 8:49

When i start my car my Idle goes high for about 10 seconds then drops back to normal.... I can drive it cause the idle stays normal...It justs give me a a high idle when started... Please Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pontiac Grand am 98 Idle high

That may be normal. Just how high is it? In cold weather, it might go to 1200 rpm at first start and then pull back to 900 rpm in the next few seconds. After a few minutes, it should settle to about 700 rpm.

If the engine hits 2000 rpm on startup and is too slow in reducing speed, it needs attention. This assumes it was started with your foot off the accelerator and allowing the engine controller to control the process.

Also, you may note this happening in cold weather: The idle speed increases slightly when the gear selector is moved from park or neutral to any gear. What's happening is this (for automatic transmissions): When the transmission is put into gear from neutral, the engine controller increases the idle speed a bit to compensate for the extra drag put on by the transmission. If the transmission is a little slow in engaging, the engine will speed up and then drop back in rpm as the transmission cluthes fully engage. This effect is less noticable after the transmission fluid warms and the shift from neutral to a gear quickens. The effect is more noticeable with transmissions that have accumulated wear on shifting valve seals and clutch facings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here