Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody watch the Barrett-Jackson Auction?

Posted by christopherh (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 3, 06 at 7:32

Did anybody see the Barrett-Jackson auction on Saturday? Did you see the 1947 Bently that went for $1,600,000? That was when the Frenchy French could do coachwork.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody watch the Barrett-Jackson Auction?

I do occasionally.

Especially like the 63-67 Vettes. 10 Years ago I could have got a HT for $15,000 stock. It was at a shopping center where an old car club was showing off it's stuff, and the guy just wanted to unload it. The seats were used but restorable, and the engine was a stock small block and very clean. All the same, the wife tugged at my sleeve to move on and brought me back to reality, but to this day I always regretted it. The newer Vettes, from 68 onward were designed for the Indianapolis 500 crowd, and in my view from that point on it no longer was a street roadster, and were driven by race track wannabes.

Also like the 64 Impala convertable from that era, and liked the way GM strung out the rear lights, really nice effect especially at night and you could tell you were following one way off in the distance.

Don't know where these guys get their money. I could pay off my mortgage and sock away some retirement money to boot for what these guys pay for what they consider as toys.

Andy

o

Too bad old electronics, dont sell for the kind of money old cars bring.

o

Andy,
We all have those stories.
Back when I was in my early 20's (1972) I was looking for either a '63 split window Vette or a 66 Jaguar XKE coupe. I wanted to spend $1,200.00. There were plenty of examples out there for that money. All the ones I looked at were rats. So I went out and bought a new car. One week after I took delivery of the first Pinto Squire wagon in NJ I was driving in the hills around home and there parked in someone's front yard was a 1966 XKE coupe. Red with black leather interior. The car was in excellent shape with only 50,000 miles on it. And he wanted $1,195.00! To this day I regret it.

o

Didn't see it. But I thought that Bentley was built by the British. Below is a couple of paragraphs from some of the history.

Rolls-Royce.

A new firm was formed, BentleyMotors (1931) Ltd, which was a wholly owned subsidiary of Rolls-Royce.W.O. was retained as an employee, but he had little say in the design of the new car that bore his name.Increasingly unhappy, he left when his contract came up for renewal in 1935, joining Lagonda,for whom he designed the LG6 and V12. He was also responsible for the 2 1/2 litre twin-overhead-camshaft six which powered the postwar Lagonda and went into the Aston Martin DB2. He died in 1971, by which time he was a revered figure to the Bentley Drivers'Club, welcoming many gatherings of the vintage cars at his home in Surrey.
In the summer of 1933 the new Bentley was announced. Known as the 3 1/2 litre, it had a modified Rolls-Royce 20/25 engine in a new chassis which had been designed for a 2 1/2 litre Rolls-Royce that never went into production. In the Rolls-Royce tradition, only chassis were supplied,but the makers recommended a number of styles which were made in small runs by the coachbuilders. This cut costs consderably and also the waiting time for delivery.
After the Second World WarBentleys became increasingly similar to Rolls-Royce cars, witha change to a more individual identity only coming in the 1980s. The parent company had moved from Derby to a factory at Crewe which had been built in 1938 for aero-engine construction, and this factory also incorporated a body plant. Here four-door saloon bodies made by Pressed Steel at Cowley,Oxford, were finished. Originally only Bentleys were fitted with these bodies, but from 1949 they also became available on the Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn. The decision to introduce a standard body was partly due to the high cost of custom coachwork, but also because the cars were aimed at export markets more than previously, and the traditional ash frame with aluminium panels was not suitable for some climates.
Announced in the spring of 1946, the postwar Bentley was called the Mark VI and shared with the Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith a new six-cylinder engine whose dimensions were the same as the Mark V Wraith, but it had a new valve outlet,overhead inlet and side exhaust valves. The engine was part of a range called B engines made in four, six and eight cylinder versions. The last was used in the Rolls-Royce Phantom IV and in an experimental Bentley nicknamed the "Scalded Cat". The six used in the Mark VI differed somewhat from that in the Silver Wraith, having twin SU carburetters in place of a single Stromberg, and a higher-lift camshaft. About 80 per cent of the 5201 Mark VI chassis made between 1946 and 1952 had Pressed Steel bodies, but there were also numerous custom styles made. In the ten years after the Second World War British coachbuilders became virtually extinct, but before they disappeared they built many magnificent examples on both Bentley and Rolls-Royce. At least fourteen firms in Britain worked on the MarkVI, as well as some continental coachbuilders. The body was much the same but had a larger luggage boot and automatic transmission was optional.

o

How the hec do you go from wanting either a vette or an xke, and end up with a Pinto Squire wagon?

People thought I was being goofy choosing between a c4 vette and new PT Cruiser. At least the PT can look sporty with the ghost flames, lake pipes, and chrome wheels. A Pino wagon? I don't think so.

BTW, I opted for the vette.

o

It was 1972 and I just got married. And while I no longer have the Pinto, I still have my lovely bride.

But that Pinto was a pretty good car! I had it for 5 years and about 70,000 miles and a fellow worker bought it from me for $800. He then drove it to Texas without any problems. So I'd say that $2,100 car was a pretty good investment. Also in 1974 when the first oil embargo occured I was getting 20+ MPG while my wife's '74 Nova 6 cyl was getting 12! If I had the 'Vette I would have been walking.

Also while the Bently is a british marque, they were shipped all over the world for coach builders to do their thing. That particular chassis was shipped to France for the coachwork. It was a one of a kind car.

o
The Bentley at auction

Here's the car.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1947 Bently

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here