Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Timing Belt - Application

Posted by franzjozef (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 4:19

I'm interested if anybody might know.... Contitech is releasing their new brand OIL RUNNER timing belt which is supposed to run inside of engine in the oil bath. Release should happen in the middle of 2008. Does anybody know in which application?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Timing Belt - Application

News to me. I undersant using a chain inside an engine where it is lubed, but not a belt.

o

What would be the purpose of lubricating a belt?Every oil soaked belt I have seen had to be replaced.

o

This looks like something in development. Maybe someone is trying to replace the conventional timing chain with a belt, but this doesn't make sense to me. Possibly, the thinking is a cost reduction.

Physically, its merely a matter of changing the sprockets on the cam shaft and crankshaft to one designed for toothed belts, but from a mechanical designer's view, this makes no sense. Possibly, a belt would be quieter. However, a chain drive can approach 98% efficiency and a belt can not. Ultimately, a belt will need replaceing at the expense of removing a gasketed belt cover and all the labor required to get to it. An enclosed belt can not be inspected unless a port hole is provided. It does eliminate the seal on the camshaft extension. I would think that a belt tensioner is required, the same as for a dry belt.

Maybe this application is for a motorcycle engine. Look at the evolution of engine development in Japan and it seems they use motorcycle engines for their test beds. Several developments appear on motorcycle engines a few years before these are found in automotive engines (from Japan). To name a couple I know of: 4 to 5 valves per cylinder; Counter balance shafts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here