Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inter-Dealership Vehicle Transfers, Concerns

Posted by andyf (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 8, 06 at 22:58

When dealers don't have a new car model with all the options, they trade or swap with a dealer in another city.
This is my case.

My dealer found a vehicle matching my options in a another city 400 miles away. He said he would send one of his men over to get it. I am concerned about this because of the new car break in process that new owners are supposed to follow. Some MFGs specify not to take long trips at continous speeds and to vary the speeds if this isn't possible, and to keep under 50km/ph for the first 3000 km.

I didn't say anything about this in confidence they know what they're doing, and I suppose some trust is warranted. But when you figure the risk is all the owners, it isn't any consolation. Any injury of the motor can either happen right away, or show up has a general shortening of the motor's lifespan on the last month of the powertrain warranty, minus one. Then this of course will be blamed on the user's poor maintenance or bad driving or care practices.

I would prefer they use a rented flatbed to haul it than to have it driven. Another reason is that I want to have it undercoated at another shop on the day of pickup, and don't want the undercarriage to be coated with rain, dust or salt dust.

A little after the fact now as I already purchased it, but should I be concerned with this? What are the dealer processess involved in this sort of arrangement?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inter-Dealership Vehicle Transfers, Concerns

IMO "Much ado about nothing".

Todays cars do NOT require a break-in period, buy it, and drive it the way your going to right from day one. Plus todays cars have extensive rust proofing technology built right into them. Thats one of the reason you see so many fifteen year old cars these days with 150K to 200K on the odometer. Having it rust proofed on top of what the factory does wont hurt, but really wont make much difference in the life of the vehicle.

BTW, how long do you plan on trying to keep this new car, and what did you get? BTW, just enjoy it.

o

Actually, rustproofing an already rust-resistant vehicle can hurt it. Many aftermarket rustproofing jobs call for drilling holes in body panels, spraying the inside of the panel, and plugging the hole. The plug is where the rust starts. There's nothing that guarantees that their spray gets all over the inside of that cavity, either.

Most cars I have experience with have greatly altered break-in procedures. Mostly what you want to avoid are the extremes: pedal-to-the-metal acceleration while cold, lugging the engine (if not an automatic), etc. Pretty much the same stuff you should avoid with a car that is broken in. However, my VW came with oil that was expected to be drained after only 5,000 miles to get rid of the manufacturing solvents and any stray particles that may have worked out of the engine-building process (the oil-change interval is 10,000 miles after that).

o

Thanks guys.

Well I suppose also the guy driving wouldn't want to be caught speeding with a dealer plate, so the engine wouldn't have prolonged high rpms and he wouldn't want to have a black mark against his record at the dealer.

I was refering to my wife's Echo which required under 50MPH intermitant driving and a break in caution.

About the undercoat, I agree except when it comes to frame protection. I also have an 87 Ram 50 with 113K kilometers on it, with a Misubishi engine. The body is in good condition too with maybe an afternoon in the sun spent repairing with fiberglass filler. It runs like a top and laughs at the polution tests. Trouble is the safety won't pass because the box steel frame is rusted. Also cab mounts are notorious for rusting out if it's a frame type cab. The uni-frame cabs are ok because they are welded on as one long seam. But that depends if it's inner protected.

I like the black asphalt undercoat which i noticed on most old vehicles is still intact. My undercoating will be done with me there on site. I'll be noting what they do. If they don't like it, tough. A body shop repair guy told me they had a car that went to the undercoat every year. It was in an accident and when they peeled back the panels, they found they weren't even touched. So there are more gougers out than there are'nt.

Andy

o

my office is next to a place where they offload new cars and store them, til they go to the dealer. if you saw the way they were driven in that lot, you wouldnt much care about proper break in. never heard so much tire squealing, smelled so much burnt rubber. haha dont worry about it.

o

John-g:

2006 Ranger Reg cab,3Ltr,auto,LB.

Picking it up tomorrow, (errrrr, maybe the burned out shell?!!)

What I don't like about the Ranger is the pick list. You can't mix and match things such as trim. You are kept within that package's option list even though most of the parts are small and interchangeable within packages, and are 15 minute bolt off/ons in the service bay.

Another is the "Pick and Choose" courtesy option list that has various trim components listed around 2-400 bucks, what a joke. With this you can pick anything you want up to 1000$. They had a chromed spider rim which I thought would look nice rather than the stock rim, and I picked 3 other options as well, totalled 930$. I felt pretty good about it. After looking closely, it said 400$ bucks "each" for th e rims. So that means for 1000$, and if you don't pick anything else, you get to buy 2 Rims?!!! Am I buying a 2006 Ford Rickshaw? Like my granddaughter says .....Duhhhh! When I looked at the dealer, he gave me that, "Hey, don't blame me, I didn't make up the promotion" look on his face.

Another thing is, you will note that none of the basic packages really shines. What I mean by that is everything is painted, or two tone with flat black, unless you go to the top XLT models, then you get a chrome grille. There is no hint of chrome that makes you proud. What shines if anything is a steel silver painted wheel.

How long I plan to use it? Well I'm 60 now, and I keep trucks until they're in the same condition as John Candy's rental car in the movie "Boats,Planes and Automobiles". So my trucks go for a good 10 years. I just brought my 86 Comanche to the scrap yard today, and everything worked on it. Fix my own cars, except inner engine components. I bought it in 97. I'm on a tight pension budget, so I guess it'll be the last one, and it will outlive me.

Andy

o

I am a DX (dealer exchange driver) for a group of dealers. I have made many long distance trips to pick up cars. I have never seen anyone really abuse a car that we are moving from one dealership to another. I had to swap Nissan Z roadsters between 2 dealerships that were about 300 miles apart and my body was pretty abused by the time I got home from those cars (but that's another story). We don't want tickets anymore than the next guy. We are responsible for body dings while the car is in our care, so we do take pretty good care of the new cars.

o

Most dealers have older retired guys to do this type work.There paid by the hour and most just do it to get out of the house and see the countryside.I have bought several new cars and most all were traded for from a distant dealer.Around 200 miles and there has never been a problem.People who test drive cars from a lot and the salesman does not ride along would concern me more.

o

Yep, most DX drivers are older (mid 60's and up) retired men trying to get out of the house and supplement their retirement income. I don't fit the "sterotype". I'm middle aged and a woman. There are other women, a few policemen, and others who drive as a second job.

Interesting group. We get paid to take cars on extended test drives. Next time I need a new car, I know what I want and what I don't want.

o

I sell cars...some of the nicest people I've met are drivers; whether they drive for the dealer's auction or a dealership.
Down to Earth folks, and always a story to tell if one has 15 minutes to spare.

o

"Down to Earth folks, and always a story to tell if one has 15 minutes to spare." KathyJane

That's because we spend so much time with no one to talk to but ourselves. (I wish there were smileys here, but there aren't, so I will have to VBG)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here