SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thecarguy

Question regarding 5k mile road trip:

thecarguy
15 years ago

I've got a big road trip coming up in a couple of months, which includes stops in Louisiana, Michigan, Canada and Maine(I'm leaving from Orlando, FL.). We will have covered close to 5k miles after all is said and done. There will be three of us driving and we'll be in my 2006 4-cyl Accord which will have about 65k miles on it. I had the automatic trans. fluid changed at 30k miles and again at 60k. I have also done the routine oil and filter changes as well as had a brand new set of tires and brakes recently installed. We'll be on the road for 9 days and I plan for us to drive in shifts. We'll stop at our destinations and spend a day or so, but I don't plan to stop in between (such as overnight in a hotel). I plan for us to drive straight through between each of our planned destinations. This is okay with everyone, but they asked me if it would be okay for the car to run for that long without being shut down. I'm about 95% sure that it will be just fine, but we're not planning on a long stop between Florida and Canada. Should we concern ourselves with allowing the engine to cool/rest or just let it keep on trucking? I do use Penzoil Plat. synthetic oil and plan to have it changed before we leave and again when we return. The coolant isn't due for replacement until after 100k miles. Just looking to get everyones opinions on what (if any) effect running the car for a couple of days at highway speeds non-stop a few times throughout the trip will have on the drivetrain and what I might need to do to ensure that we have a safe and reliable trip. Thanks in advance.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions