SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andyf_gw

Warning:Quaker State Oil Filters

andyf
18 years ago

Better check your filters really close. I used to simply blow the insides out just incase I get a piece of paper or something else inside. Apparently the auto MFGs may have a valid point when they say you shouldn't use products from other sources.

Went out to buy an oil filter for my new ranger and found the 10$ price tag for a Motocraft filter a bit steep. I looked at a Quaker State filter and just happened to run my finger in the thread hole. My finger was coated with a grey film that I recognized as oil and particles of steel about the size of 600 grit paper. I put that one back and started to open all the filter boxes of my type motor. They were all the same except one was worse and had 2 grains of larger size particles clearly visible.

Can't imagine what this stuff would do to close tolerance crankshaft journals made of bronze. It would be just like sandpaper on them. In fact the bronze would absorb the particles and act has a holder for the them. It is scary to think that this stuff is on the "Inflow" part of the filter. If you think they allow this much care for the part of the filter we can see, what else do they botch up and we don't know about.

I bought the Motocraft filter just the same and the thread portion was just as clean as a whistle. Can't remember how many times I used Quaker State on my other trucks.

This problem is clearly a lack of cleanliness on their part and shows the lack of quality control and sincerity when they state they produce a reliable product. Can't get into their site to let em know, guess their server is down.

Andy

Comments (7)

Sponsored