Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
California Beemer-Need Advice

Posted by andrea_san_diego (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 08 at 21:01

My daughter's old BMW doesn't run and will be too expensive to fix. A friend wants to buy it, rip out the engine and restore the car. According to the California DMV the car must be smogged before it can be sold but, it's a catch 22 because in order for it to pass the smog test it must be repaired. There must be some exemption from the smog test if the car doesn't run.

Thanks,

Andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: California Beemer-Need Advice

You do have a Catch 22. Can you junk the car (remove it from service and de-license it), then sell the parts? Say, sell the engine and transmsision as a unit for one sale, and the remains as a separate sale? The buyer then has the responsibility for passing the smog test on whatever he builds when it comes to licensing for road use.

o

I'd email DMV or go to one. They could tell you and would give you the proper form(s). You might be able to register it as Non-Op, sell it as Non-Op which would put the new owner on the hook for it. I went to dmv.ca.gov and typed "buy" into search and got this among other things:

Salvage, Junked, Nonrepairable, and Abandoned Vehicles
... Salvage, Junked, Nonrepairable, and Abandoned Vehicles. Nonrepairable Vehicles; Branded Titles-Look Before You Buy; Consumer's Guide To Purchasing A Used Vehicle ...

www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/salvage.htm - 20k - Cached

which produced this; again among other things:

How To Re-register a Junked Vehicle
How To Re-register a Salvaged Vehicle
How to Obtain a Salvage Certificate
Lemon Law Buyback Vehicle

===========================================
Should be easily do-able.

You are welcome in advance :-)

o

It's funny. I had a 1600 BIMMER a long time ago. Any true BMW owner cringes at the word BEEMER. That's so Yuppie. When I owned it, the car was a BIMMER and the bike was the BEEMER. But in the early 80s along came the 318i and the Yuppies all had to have one and they bastardized the monicker.
BMW wasn't the only monicker ruined. Mercedes became "Mercy B" when all the wannabes bought the "Baby Benz".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here