Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning plastic headlite

Posted by hailefinn (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 08 at 21:00

The plastic headlite covers on my daughter's car and my husband's Ford truck have a film on the outside. What is the best to clean them with? This film causes the lights not to be as bright.

I am new to this forum. Thanks for any advice you may have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning plastic headlite

It's not a film. UV rays and/or ozone have dried out and perhaps damaged the plastic. There are plastic polishes available at auto parts stores marketed by the same companies that sell car wax...turtle wax, Maguires, etc. I purchased bottles of 'novus plastic polish, no's 1,2, and 3' a few years ago to see what it would do. Works ok but requires some elbow grease if the plastic is in bad shape. Works easy on plastic that's not in bad shape. Should do my daughter's headlights myself one of these days. Been hoping she'd save her money and buy a new car before I fool with it because it needs so much more than that.

o

Gary--thanks for the info---I'll check with a local auto store.

o

The three part stuff works. It does take a lot of effort. Dont rush it. The first two steps, the sanding and buffing will take an hour or two!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here