Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
87 chrysler 5th ave. water pump?

Posted by swebster1564 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 20:57

I have an 87 5th ave...It leaks out water/coolant as soon as it is put in and the vehicle is started. It doesn't leak out unless it is running. I've been told it could be the head gasket, the water pump or possibly the water pump gasket. If anyone has any idea what the definate problem is, please let me know as I need to get this car back up and running. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 87 chrysler 5th ave. water pump?

it could be the water pump, the wtr. pmp gasket, the head gasket, along with a radiator hose, or the radiator its self, take it to someone that works on cars, find out what it is and go from there.

o
RE: 87 chrysler 5th ave. water pump?

Have you looked under the hood to see if you can find where the water is comming from?

The water pump has a relief hole in its housing on the bottom side. When fluid leaks past the seal, it dumps through this hole. Sometimes, this is hard to see directly because of the location of the hole. The fluid can run over surfaces and may appear to be coming from elsewhere.

A heater hose can leak under pressure but hold fluid when the engine is at rest. The heater hose may be attached to a nipple pointing up located on or near the thermostat housing. The hose makes a 90 deg bend and travels back to the firewall. With time, this 90 deg bend becomes severe. A crack may develop on the underside of this bend. When the engine is at rest, the weight of the hose closes the hole, but when pressure is applied, the hose rises a bit and the hole opens. To detect, lift the hose and inspect. Be careful if the engine is running. Hot fluid can spew out; and keep your fingers away from belts and moving objects.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here