Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade Pickup Rack Noisy, ?

Posted by andyf (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 20:00

I made my own rack out of 1-1/4in square tubing. Now I get a wind vibration starting at 50 MPH. It's a vibration and not whistling. I made 2 before for my other trucks I owned and had no problems, but they were round tubing and I suppose were more aerodynamic. They are the box frame type where the legs go into the bed holes and measures 55in W by 7ft by 2ft high. There's a 2ft overhang over the cab.

I'm trying to come up with a solution. One is to wrap the overhead beams with vinyl swimming pool drain hose. I'd run a slit in it and slide it over the tubing. The other is to fill the cavities with airofoam insulation they sell in spray cans, but don't think that would work. I think the vinyl would prevent the air hitting the steel and prevent resonating.

Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?

Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade Pickup Rack Noisy, ?

By loading up a few long 2x4 pieces of lumber, and strapping them down, you can find out where the vibration is coming from. The lumber will dampen the vibration when it is tied down in the right spot. When you know which tube is vibrating the most, you can stiffen up the structure in that location.

o

You need an airfoil on the front tube as the air is hitting the tube and reflecting off the top of the cab, look at some other racks around town to see what I mean.

o

Thanks guys!.

Andy

o

I like beagle's suggestion. You could simply buy an angle section and fasten it to the leading face of the forward facing tubes (with the corner facing forward like an arrowhead) and see if that corrects your problem. Is your rack fastened securely/bolted to the bed or just resting in the bed holes. It could be an uplift thing.

o

Go to a sporting goods store that sells either Yakima or Thule rack systems. They make an airfoil for just that reason. The one below is called a "Yakima Windjammer" and is about $15.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here