Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Better Way To Clean White Wall Tires??

Posted by bucky (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 27, 06 at 19:37

I've used SOS pads to clean whitewall tires for many years and it does an ok job but does anyone on the list know of a better way to get old yellowed white walls looking white again?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Better Way To Clean White Wall Tires??

Westley's Bleach White, available everywhere car cleaning stuff is sold.

o

Yes it works good on black walls also.I remember white walls and liked them clean.But now days I think if I had them I would be tempted to paints them black.Or just have then turned to the inside like so many do.

o

johndeere: The whitewalls are on a restored classic 1966 Thunderbird Convertible. As most on this list would know, whitewall tires were the standard on many of the vehicles of the 60s, particularly the high end stuff. The tires are like new except for the yellowed white stripes. I live in western Canada and so far haven't found the stuff that Gary suggested I use. I'll keep looking though. Thanks for the suggestions. This is one great list.

o

I always bought Westley's Bleach White in the gallon containers. But a couple of years ago I couldn't find it anywhere. So I tried Purple Power from Walmart. It smells like it has the same chemicals in it. It seems to work just as good. I have raised white letters and clean them at least once a week so they don't get real dirty. But I know when you are spraying it. And you get some of the mist in your nose it will choke you like the Westley's does. Like I said it smells just like Westley's. So try it and see what you think. OH! one more thing it is about half the price of Westley's Bleach White

HTH
Bob

o

Bob: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check at one of our Walmart stores and see if they stock Purple Power here.

o

I would try Simple Green.

o

A stiff bristle brush and some all-purpose cleaner works.

o

Why not try some regular bleach(diluted ??) and a scotch-brite pad ??

o

Is the purple wax they had years ago called Purple Power???Do they still make that?
Id like to know too hubby is gonna put his 2 cars a 37 ford coupe 2 door original,and a 49 plymouth 2 door,in some shows.Already won numerous ribbons,trophys..It has huge white walls.

o

Does comet bleach clean white wall tires for a schwinn bicycle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here