Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Undercoating a '68 Porsche

Posted by gilster5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 08 at 19:17

I have read the reviews on undercoating of new vehicles, but what about older ones. I am moving to Germany with my 1968 Porsche 912. Germany salts their roads in the winter. What are your thoughts on undercoating or rust proofing. Due to the age of the car, I will not be driving it a lot in the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Undercoating a '68 Porsche

A 1968 911 Porsche - I'll bet that one is becomming a collector's car in Germany (if it is in reasonable shape). If I had a 911 in Germany, I would consider not exposing it to winter time driving and increasing the chance that it would get banged up or destroyed. Maybe you could use the policy, when there's salt on the road, the 911 doesn't go. Get something else to that you don't care that much about to expose to commuting in the winter and save your jewel for fair weather.

You said that you were moving to Germany. Is this a permanent relcoation or will will you be back in the States after awhile? if oyu are going to be back within 2 years, investigate the cost of storing your car instead of shipping it to Germany, then back again, and getting it through customs bothways. If you store it, maybe you can induce a friend to start it every two months.

These are just a few thoughts. Let's wait to hear what John_G has to say about today's undercoatings.

o
RE: Undercoating a '68 Porsche

Really I know almost nothing about them. I used to do rustproofing as a young tehnician and can state that there was a difference in lifespan between treated cars, and untreated ones. But nothing made any of them last forever except constant care.

A 68 Porsche should be used as a toy, and not driven in less than perfect weather. JMHO. Rustproofing may slow down the rate at which body damage occurs, but will not totally prevent it.

BTW, nuts, bolts, electronics are my strengths,,, if you see me with a paint gun in my hand consider it a deadly weapon because something ugly is about to happen... :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here