Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hi John. re leaking C.V. boot.

Posted by kalining (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 08 at 18:52

I replaced the entire axil half shaft assembly on my car.
Once the car is jacked up and the old axil is removed i
can replace with a new axil in about 15 seconds. It takes about 1/2 to 3/4 hour to put in a boot kit. It's not worth my time. Calipers,axils,wheel cylinders, E.C.Ms, programers, carbs,A.C. compressors, alternaters, and most other things are replaced. All can be repaired including the E.C.M. Yes i had to repair them. The opti coupler or the E-E- prom was the only thing that went wrong and that
was almost always customer owned fault. They blew it up.
Prime example. The G.M. 6.5 turbo diesle. Everyone replaces
the injector pump. WRONG. There is a factory fault with that system and it is not the pump. Actually as i reread
my post the G.M. diesle has nothing to do with axils. Sorry
about that. Got off topic. Anyway, 3/4 hour for a boot kit
or 15 seconds to replace the axil. You be the judge.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hi John. re leaking C.V. boot.

Axil - uh um like maybe Axel ?????

o

Ooops!!! Gulp!!! Axle????

Well I've had a couple.....

o

Sorry about that. I can fix them. I can't spell them.

o

It takes me around ten minutes to actually replace a boot oce the axle is on the work bench. But to each their own. Frankly most of the re-man axles are so cheap it really does make me wonder how they can do it and maintain a reasonable profit.

BTW If I have to tear a joint completely apart for cleaning and repacking it might take me twenty minutes +R&R of the axle shaft......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here