Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get started with car buying/research?

Posted by fh2000 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 2, 06 at 16:58

The last time I bought a vehicle was in 96' for our mini-van. I did it on Auto-by-tel.com. I did a google search and it came up with autoweb.com, so auto-by-tel.com got bought out?

I am in the market for a mid-sized SUV now. Where are the popular web sites with decent price and car buying experience?

I hate talking to car salesmen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get started with car buying/research?

One way, more or less, to avoid the car-salesman is to buy privately.
And I agree, far too many salesmen are not very nice, nor pleasant.
I wonder is any college, any school teaches "salesmanship", the modern way(my way) ???

o

We just bought a new car but we knew what we wanted. We went to the manufacturers web site and were able to get quotes from 6 local dealers. We never talked to a salesman until we had papers in hand and asked the nearest dealer if he could beat the best offer. He did and we bought. I would never buy any other way.

o

I bought my current car over the Internet as well. Did the research on the Web (Edmund's seems pretty good, as do the Web sites for magazines like Car and Driver, Road & Track, etc.). If you know what few brands you'd like to examine more closely, most of the manufacturer's Web sites will let you "build" your own car -- a good way to find out which options or packages are available and what goes with what. On the independent Web sites, you can get bids from local dealers for the brand you're investigating. I did this; one of the dealers goofed (in my favor) on the bid but stood by it and I got a great deal. I definitely would do it that way again, as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here