Posted by housenewbie (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 7, 06 at 16:55

Anyone have any experience w/ any of these:

Hankook mileage plus
michelin weatherwise
goodrich traction
goodyear regatta

I have a 2002 Subaru forester, 205/70/15

I've had a lot of trouble finding reviews of the hankook online. Have found a few on the goodrich/goodyear. Not a whole lot tho.

Anyone know a good place for tire ratings?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on tires?

cant go wrong with michelin, might want to look at toyo also they have a good rep. last time i replaced my michelins, i went with toyo, have about 10k on them and been happy with them

o

Go to Tirerack.com, enter your make and model of vehicle, and it gives you a choice of what kind of tire (all season, performance, etc,)what brands you want to review and then info and ratings on those. There's a chart that compares all tire brands in the type you select.

You have to beware of the reader comments. Often you'll see one person rave about the tire, the next comment the person hates it. Usually the people that say they drive agressively are never satistified. Just have to go by the average reader score.

o

Or some men find "all-season" to be useless on snow when they should be using the proper tire.
Performance tires belong on the track, they tend to be noisy and wear quickly.
I am beginning to think there is no such thing as a good all-around tire..
I found the Hankook site, but it is useless 100% advertising - to be avoided at all costs..

o

I've been happy with Michelin's ("X" - all season Mud and Snow - that specific tire only sold through Costco) on two of my cars. 80K miles treadware warranty, fairly quiet, good in rain and snow (as long as you know how to drive in those conditions). Michelin has $50-$60 discount offers every so often if you buy 4. Consumer reports also has ratings on tires. Go to the library to find the issue that has your type of tire (all season).

o

Anyone know a good place for tire ratings?

Tire Rack is good. 1010tires.com is good, too. Keep in mind that reviews usually are limited to the brands that are sold on that site. Might also try consumersearch.com; that site rounds up reviews done by other organizations.

As you read the reviews, though, pay special attention to the reviews from people with your particular car or cars like yours. I don't think there's a lot you can learn about tires for your car from someone using them on, say, a rear-wheel-drive Cadillac or a minivan. Tires of vastly different sizes can be quite different. And reviews from people who've had the tires for several thousand miles are better than those who are ranting or raving about tires they've had for a whole week.

As for the tires you mentioned, I have no direct experience with those particular tires. However, my experience with Michelin tires always has been good, though with Michelin you definitely pay for the privilege. I'm not a Goodyear fan -- too many mediocre tires among the really good ones and I think they're overpriced compared to the competition. Hankook is a fairly new brand in the U.S.; they're from Korea.

Other less-expensive brands you might want to check out include Cooper, Toyo, and Dunlop. I've heard good things about the first two and liked the Dunlops I've had.

o

Well, I'd say don't bother with high priced jobs. My cheapo Wallmart snow/ice tires have been on my Comanche pickup for 8 years, never take 'em off even in summer. Every season my rears carry a 2 cord load of wood in one trip for a total of 20 cords, and that's on hot asphalt. My springs have busted on two occasions, and I had to install Monroe Air lift shocks, and still they can take the punishment. (I even have one with a side cord that looks a bit iffy.)

I think the all seasons are useless, as they don't have the lugs. The labs try to bring out yet another tested design, because they are striving for low noise. But the reality is if it don't have teeth, and I mean a good 1/2in of space between lugs, forget about serious snow driving. I think the noise problem is being handled right now and is as good as it's going to get. I say get used to the noise, which I think is hardly noticable anyway.

BTW: For us low speed fogies in the north country with trucks that work hard, bring back the deep lugged retreads for non-commercial vehicles. Never had problems with them. If they need to bring back bias-belted to do it, I say whatever it takes. The tire scraps along the roads are indicators of excessive speed, or are using the tires until the threads are too thin to hold the bonding at high revs.

M2C

Andy

o

based on reviews from tirerack, i bought Goodyear Regatta II's for my wife's full size caprice wagon. I thought they performed very well and the price was reasonable. Also through tirearck I went with Yokohama for my mazda millenia. The yoko's had all of the same ratings as the OEM michelins and the price was less than 1/2.

I use the price quotes on tirerack as a barometer of what to pay a local shop (of course you need to consider the shipping and installation as well).

FWIW: Last go around no one locally could match the tirerack price on the yoko's I bought directly from tirerack and had a local Midas install and balance. Net savings was $100 on 4 tires. The midas guys (who also sold Yokohama tires) were glad to do it. I told them is they could come close to the tirerack price, I'd gladly buy from them. The response was that thier cost was the difference so it really didn't matter too much to them. Nice guys and I'll definitely be going back for other stuff like oil changes/alignments/etc.

o

Kumho Ecsta ASX,excellent tire.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here