Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? Re: Maintenance '05 Honda

Posted by sue_va (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 16:21

In November 07 I bought a Honda Certified 05 Honda Civic EX. Except for the required inspection sticker in October '08, I have not had any maintenance on it.

When I bought it, it had 35018 miles on it. I don't drive much. Mileage now is 36725.

I'm going to take it in for a check up, but I need to know what are the important things they should look at? I don't want to pay for something I don't need.

TIA

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? Re: Maintenance '05 Honda

A colleague of mine has a 1990 Civic. They just don't break unless you get at them with angle grinders and earth movers. Change the oil on time and you can't go wrong.

o

You don't really need much at such low mileage... brake fluid might need replacing (every three years is the general rule of thumb, regarless of mileage), check your wiper blades, tires, brake pads, underneath the car for any leaks, etc.

The only actual engine maint. I'd say to have done would be the engine air filter, oil change, brake fluid and transmission fluid change if it's an automatic. DO NOT flush, only a simple drain and refill. Honda automatic transmissions are very particular. Only use Honda Z1 fluid. The owner's manual actually doesn't recommend a change until 120,000 miles I believe (this is the case with the 4-cylinder Accord), but Honda has had some major problems with their automatic transmissions for the last 10 years or so and although the newest units have had far less problems, I'm still not going to push the envelope. I recommened a transmission fluid change with Honda Z1 fluid every 30,000 miles.

Otherwise... just keep on rolling.

o

This Honda replaced my previous Honda Civic that I bought new and drove (for 21 years) until it got cranky, and I gave it away to my dependable Honda mechanic. He is no longer in the business and I will take this one to the Dealership where I bought it. I bought the first one there also, but a lot has changed over the years, and I just needed some advice.

Thanks!

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here