Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
refinish wheels

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 26, 06 at 16:21

i have some alloy wheels i use in the summer. they are painted i assume with a clearcoat. the hub section of the wheels have a lot of corosion where the clear coat has lifted and the surface underneath is crusty. i want to try and strip the bad section since it is fairly flat and try and repaint it close to the original grey color. i figure if i use liquid stripper and a small brush and take my time, it might work. anyone try this? no the rims are not worth having stripped professionally. the "spoke" sections are in good shape. hmm, 3yr old rims and crappy finish.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: refinish wheels

Crappy finish-- a variety of reasons-- most probly the surface wasn't prepped thoroughly. You can see some fairly new vehicles with big swatches of paint off.

The clear coat is a 2 part poly-urethane. Acetone or lacquer thinner probly would be the solvent to use. Most likely you would wind up relying primarily on sanding. Any clear coat that hasn't detached could be left if you feathered the edge in but its tricky and might show. Total removal is best if its a small area.

When you finish sanding the surface wash it with liguid dish detergent > rinse thoroughly with clear water and a clean rag > let dry > wipe down with MEK and a clean rag. Change rags often. I'd use a rattle can for that small area for both color and clear overcoat. Duplicolor is one I use but there may be better. It is of course not a 2 part product. Fog on the first coat > light second coat > heavy 3rd coat.

o
RE: refinish wheels

I bought the car 6yrs ago. 3yrs ago I decided to get some different wheels. I figured $200/set was a good price for 16" alloys. chrome lug nuts were $40 and mounting/balancing the old tires was another $75. it never ends. than 1 yr later i noticed the 1st corrosion area. soon all 4 wheels were about the same shape. yr round in MN winters is not a good idea. Its almost time to put on the "summer" alloys so I better get going.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here