SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan158

2000 neon won't downshift

Dan158
13 years ago

Get the same old from all the tranny shops around here. Here is what happened and here are the responses I get from tranny garages.

2000 neon

55000 miles

3 speed auto

I replace filter and fluid. Was given wrong fluid at the auto parts store. They said they will pay for the tranny to be flush.

I put 4 quarts of type F fluid in the tranny. Didn't look at bottles real good before I put in. They are the ones who got my needed parts and fluids. Any way I drove about 28 miles and came to stop light after the fluid change. The tranny would not down shift out of 3rd and slipped up to about 2200 rpms before I backed off the throttle imediately and manually downshifted her down into 2nd. It then shifted into 1st by itself from that gear. I shift back in drive and it ran thru all the gears fine. But again when I stop or slow down it refuses to downshift and revs up. I can shift to neutral and back into drive and it goes right into first gear. So I can get it to shift into 1st by either neutral or dropping into second.

I went and put sea foam into tranny as directed and then drained and put in the type 4 chrysler fluid. When it has sat for a little bit it will shift up and down just fine. It's like when I get above 45 MPH and the tranny warms up after about 5 minutes it sticks in 3rd and wont downshift when slow way down or stop.

Fluid level is fine. Could that type F fluid of messed my tranny up? No burnt clutches I just have to manually shift down into second or neutral then back into drive to get her to shift back into 1st.

Info please on what the cause is and how to maybe remedy it. Like I said,They will pay for the tranny flush. But I am curious why this happens. Actually this is the 2nd dodge 3 speed auto I have seen do this after tranny fluid changed.

The gargaes said that the type F tranny fluid should not make the tranny slip and and downshift into lower gears.

Never had a problem with tranny before filter and fluid change out.

Thanks all, Hope was clear info i wrote.

Comment (1)

Sponsored