Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4x4 transmission questions?

Posted by irishyankee (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 8, 06 at 15:08

How hard is it to remove the transfer case and place on another tranny?Does the transmission have to be from another 4x4 or could one work out of a 2 wheel drive?And will the transfer case work on a 700r if came off a 350 turbo and vice versa.I thought about trying this if it really not that difficult to do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4x4 transmission questions?

4x4 and 2 w/d transmissions are diferent in the rear, 4x4 has bolt pattern for attaching transfer case, 2w/d just has connection for driveshaft.

o

Unless you have a lot of hair you still want to pull out and time and money to play with, and possibly waste, try and stay away from mix and match games.

JMHO.

But if you really want to do this, many auto wrecking yards will have books that list "what interchanges with what".

o

if you have similar ( 700r with transfer and without) cases, parts can be changed out to swap transferr case over. but as mentioned, it is not easy. tailshaft and sometimes output shaft needs to be swapped.
doable, but not simple.
700 to 350 tailcase similar, could possibly be retrofitted, but NOT ME. have fun
John

o

I take it's not as easy as changeing the pump on one..But they do make 2 wheel drive transmissions that are interchangeable with the tail interchangeable or do I have to go and tear the tranny completely apart?If this is the case..I won't even waiste my time and what hair I have left.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here