Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whining after new Power Steering Hose Installed

Posted by reekola (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 1, 06 at 14:25

1990 Nissan Maxima had a leak in the power steering hose. Ever since I had a new power steering hose put in by my mechanic, I have heard a continuous whining sound, which changes pitch when turning the steering wheel (even if stopped with engine running). It doesn't seem to affect anything but is annoying. The hose was not from Nissan (which cost about 3 times more) but one from an auto parts store. I think it looked to be a bit smaller diameter hose than the original.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whining after new Power Steering Hose Installed

Check the belt and check to see that all the air has been purged from the system.
When the man does this job, he should check things completely(or the best he can) and make notes on the paperwork and discuss these things with the owner.

Another thing I note, aftermarket parts are so much cheaper.
This should not be, IMO.
Of course high quality must be more expensive, but three times the cost ???

BTW, check the price of a 15 amp outlet and compare that to a 20 amp outlet(they almost look to be identical, but I know they are not).

I'm guessing that the original hose was good for 15 years(excellent) and that the cheap, thinner hose may last but 5 years, which is probably acceptable as well.
Cars do seem to last, a Buick should do as well.

o

Reekola:

Check the fluid level in the power steering reservoir. Low fluid level can allow air to be stirred into the pump which can cause a whinning noise.

If the fluid is not low, then the new hose may be radiating or transmitting more noise than the older hose.

o

Did you take it back to your mechanic and let him listen to it? If so what did he think the problem was? If the system is low on fluid it could burn the pump. Is the new hose laying up against something that would transmit the sound you are hearing? Those hoses will move when there is pressure applied to them. And if they are touching shields, sheet metal, brake lines etc. They will moan and groan.

HTH
Bob

o

Bumping! When I had a problem with the power steering hose, I never had the chance to fix it or bring it to the dealer.. just replaced it.. it cost me much.. But it would be great to have manuals for that.. I hope it wont happen again..

Here is a link that might be useful: Power Steering Hose

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here