Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
selling a car-bill of sale issue/PA

Posted by elvis1adam (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 08 at 12:20

Hi,
Recently I came to an agreement with a buyer for my car. We agreed on a price and he gave me a hundred-dollar deposit. I filled out a bill of sale with the price and deposit listed, and we both initialed it. He was supposed to contact me within a couple days to set up a time to meet at AAA for the title transfer, but he hasn't, and I can't get ahold of him. What are my legal obligations, in Pennsylvania, concerning how long I need to give him to contact me? I made no such stipulation in the bill of sale, but I'm thinking he bolted, and I want to contact other potential buyers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew Adams

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: selling a car-bill of sale issue/PA

Do you have his mailing address? If so, send him a certified letter (return receipt) that unless he proceeds with the sale by such and such a date, you will consider the deal null and void and keep his deposit. Then go to the DMV (not AAA) and get a replacement title. Take a copy of the letter you sent the buyer as proof he backed out of the deal. You get a replacement title and proceed with selling the vehicle. You can claim the deposit as costs to replace the title if he wants the money back. Or keep track of the costs associated with replacing the title and send him the balance.

o

Call a lawyer. I think they're supposed to answer a question like this for free.

If it were me, I'd give him a week then sell the thing to someone else. If he comes back after it's sold, return his $100.

o

I would follow old-vt-crafter advice. As it would be enough of a prove. After that you can post it at http://www.mecarz.com to find the next buyer, as its free to post so nothing to lose :).

Here is a link that might be useful: Free auto ads

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here