SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachmamaproperties

Selling car by owner, then buying a car by owner

hello, i have always traded in my cars, so selling on my own for the first time and I want to make sure that I do it correctly and that I handle the tags, title and registration correctly.

On Sunday, I found a 2000 V8 Toyota Tundra Extra Cab truck w/84000 miles that i want to purchase BY OWNER from my neighbor. We agreed on $8500 as the price (according to Edmunds that is a good deal). I told him that I need to sell my car first, so Monday, I put my 1998 Honda Odyssey on Craigslist.org for $4700 (after checking Edmunds.com appraisals & TMV for pricing help) and that same day I took a deposit and I got my asking price and the buyers are coming to pick it up with cash on Saturday. I have the title and all the service records, books, keys, etc.

Now how do I do this? do I type up a sales contract or agreement? what should it say. The vehicle is beyond warranty @ 132,000 miles.

I want to say all sales final.

Does the buyer have to have insurance BEFORE they pick it up?

Do they have to take my license plate? I just got my 2007 tabs in January. I plan on placing the plate on the new truck.

Do i give the buyer a receipt for the payment (we agreed cash)?

how do I fill out the title information on the Title or do I have to do that at the county offices in front of somebody?

I also need to know how to buy the truck from my neighbor correctly, so this should help my buyer and also me as a buyer. I previously bought his house, now I am buying his truck!

I live in Florida, hope that helps. thanks for any help you can give me for buying and selling by owner

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County