SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_g_gw

A customer asked me, are you competetive?

john_g
18 years ago

Pretty simple situation. The car was in for a state inspection, and one tire failed, another was close to failing, and the last two were poor but with as little as he drives, he could get away with them on the back for a while. He readily accepted the advice of replacing the tire, but suprised me when he immeadiately figured to go elsewhere to buy them. Maybe suprised isn't the right word, dissapointed might be a better fit. So I asked him would you like us to get you some prices? Which was then when he came back with the are you competetive question.

It took me a couple minutes to phrase my response. I asked him if he remembered a year and a half ago when his car would randomly not start. He has a Mercury Mystique with a 2.5l V-6. When he called me, I dropped what I was doing and left the shop with what I needed to diagnose the car right in his driveway. It was a bad crank sensor. I asked him if the tire store could compete with that? He smiled and replied, well no. Plus he told me he was thinking about his dad's Dodge Caravan that was hard to re-start after driving hot, but started fine cold. That was a fuel pressure regulator that was leaking.

The bottom line is, the tire store, or WalMart, etc. could not, would not, have done what I did to take care of them. Sure they will sell tires to him cheaper, but overall what does he really need?

We ordered his tires for Monday......

Comments (7)

Sponsored