Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Contract worker Dearler exchange driver

Posted by luggage (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 7:49

I have been a "Dealer Exchange Driver" in Alabama as a "Contract Worker" for a short while. I was told that the dealership is responsible for insurance while I am driving their cars. However looking over the "Contract Driver Agreement" again there is a paragraph that states that "Driver represents that he maintains Comprehensive Liability insurance as required by Alabama. Does this mean if I were involved in an accident while driving their cars I would be responsible for insurance coverage? I was told the dealer covered the drivers but why would this language be in the contract? Can anyone help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Contract worker Dearler exchange driver

The wording of the contract indicates that you are responsible for the Comprehensive Insurance, but you have been told otherwise - I would not trust that. It may be that your boss does carry the insurance and has copied a standard contract form. However, the wording of that contract does place the responsibility on your shoulders, and that's why I would not trust the verbal statement. You would not want to test that out in case of an accident. Verbal statements do not stand up and the written agreement (and signed) does. If the Boss does carry insurance, he should be able to provide you with a signed statement to that effect and also state that the "insurance part" requirement of your contract is null and void.

o
RE: Contract worker Dearler exchange driver

I read the statement as the dealer has at least the insurance required by law. If you think about it, if you're in an accident, the dealer is going to want his property protected. If you injure someone else, who do you think that person is going to sue? A "contract driver" or an automobile dealer with hundreds of cars on his lot?

With that said, you might want to investigate, what, if any protection, the dealer's policy affords you if you are injured in a car accident. By "contract driver" I'm going to assume that you are an independent contractor and not an employee of the dealership. You wouldn't be covered by workers compensation insurance as a regular employee would be if injured on the job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here