Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Battery or starter or neither?

Posted by nike (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 28, 06 at 4:35

Hi. I have a Rav 4 2002 with it's original battery in it, and over the past month when I start my car it seems like there isn't the same amount of ooomph as before. Of course I ignored it figuring it was just me.

Now within the past couple of days after turning the key I hear a "deeer.......(PAUSE)..........." before the car starts up. It's like there's a slight start then LOTS of hesitation (as I'm still holding the key in position) then it starts up. Does this sound like I need a new battery or is it the starter or something else?

Help?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Battery or starter or neither?

Battery, starter, solinoid, battey cable connections, or charging system trouble, are the common problems. Odds are it's the battery. If you want, remove and clean the connections at the battery. Reinstall making sure they're tight. Then turn on the headlights and observe what happens when you try to start it. If they go very dim or out when you try to start it after cleaning the connections, odds are it's the battery. If they remain bright, it's something else.

Another idea, a lot of places that sell batteries will test yours for free if you remove it. Some will test the battery and your charging system right in the car. The batteries at those places might be a few bucks more, but you don't have to get dirty or risk burning a hole in your clothes with battery acid either. jmo

o
RE: Battery or starter or neither?

Thanks for the advice! I will do that. I'm guessing it's the battery also. I'm having it checked out tomorrow. Your suggestions are good to know. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here