Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oil in Spark Plug Hole

Posted by jemdandy (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 29, 06 at 2:46

1997 Saturn
1.8 L 4cy, dual cams, 4 valves/cylinder
90,000 miles

Oil is leaking into the no. 1 spark plug hole. (The other 3 are dry and clean.) Was checking the car over and found that the no. 1 spark plug hole was half full of engine oil. All the valve cover bolts were tight, and as far as I know, the valve cover has never been removed. (It's my wife's car.) What's your opinion - where is the leak and what is required to fix it?

I have an idea what I need to do, but would like to have the opinion of others who may have dealt with this problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oil in Spark Plug Hole

replace the valve cover gasket and pcv valve.

o

I'm with geraldo. imo, there's an oil leak above that spark plug hole. Most likely the valve cover. I'm not a believer in the idea that oil can be pumped out of the cylinder and past the threads of a spark plug if that's what you're thinking. jmo

o

Thank you all for your replies. I fixed the leak today by installing a new gasket set. When I took the old gaskets off, I found that the one around No. 1 sparkplug well had hardened and deteriorated, but the other were serviceable. It also had a weep along the front edge where the cover seats against the head. It's not leaking now, but the car hasn't been driven long enough for a true test.

I found a possible contributor to this problem. When I tried to remove the oil filler cap, it was jammed. It had swelled to the point that to remove it required enough force to flex the valve cover a bit. Tomorrow, I'm getting a new filler cap. (Interesting what we find after the service contract runs out. This is my wife's car and her service contract expired this winter.)

o

Be thankful the cover was not distorted and then not repairable due to people("mechanics") over tightening the screws..
One would think the oil filler cap gasket was replaceable; IMO, it should be.
They were on the old VW air cooled engines.And they were made from actual metal...

Nine years is a good life for a cam cover gasket..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here