Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chevrolet 350, potential problem?

Posted by steve73 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 08 at 1:56

Ive been in the market lately for a used 4WD pickup. Trying to find something inexpensive (dont want payments) has been quite an ordeal as anything under $5K is pretty well rusted here in MN.

I did locate a Chevy 2500 that looks fairly decent (aside from the rust) but after driving it I have a question for those in the know. Under acceleration the 350 V8 makes a mild clicking/sputtering type noise. It doesn't sound metalic & Im no expert, but I wonder if this could possibly be exhaust manifold related? This 1994 truck has 175K miles and is equipped with a "new" catalytic converter. So just assuming that the previous converter had a problem, could that have brought on manifold type issues?

FWIW, this truck is on a lot of an independent dealer, the type that gets the high mileage vehicles that new car dealers dont want around. Would this truck even be worth considering if the price were adjusted a bit? I just want this truck for occasional use near home. TIA for any possible help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chevrolet 350, potential problem?

That "clicking" noise may be a leaky exhaust gasket, the gasket between the exhaust manifold and engine head. If this is all that it is, there probably is no engine damage. Replacing this gasket is relatively straight forward, but does require considerable labor. Check it out before ordering parts.

If the leak is at the rear of the manifold, check to see if there is a modification kit such as a longer manifold stud with a brass/bronze spacer under the nut.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here