Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help!! can't remove pulley from water pump

Posted by jasper60103 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 1:21

I can't figure out how to remove the pulley from my water pump. FYI. Car is 1988 Olds Delta 88 (3800 V6 engine).

There are 4 small pulley bolts on the face of the wheel. I remove those, no problem. Then the instructions say something about removing a long bolt via a access hole.
I see the access hole, but have no idea how to remove the bolt. In fact, I can't even see the bolt! This hole is only about 3/16" in diameter.

Here's the link to the instructions from Autozone.
See step #4. Thats whats unclear to me.

thanks,
jasper

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/15/dc/18/0900823d8015dc18.jsp

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Pump - GM Bonneville/Eighty Eight/LeSabre 1986-1999

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help!! can't remove pulley from water pump

I assume that your car has front wheel drive.

Look at the right front fender. Does it have a flexible or removable flap/panel? If so, your job will be easier if you access the pump through this opening. You will need to remove the front wheel.

Begin jacking up the car. Before all the weight of the car has been taken off the wheel, loosen, but do not remove the lug nuts. Finish raising the car and support the car on jack stand(s). Remove the wheel and access panel. Continue with changing the pump.

Exercise caution. The car must be firmly supported. Do not take shortcuts or chances.

o

I don't think you understand my problem. thanks anyway.

o

You pulled the four little bolts, and the pulley won't come off? It's likely seized to the hub with rust. Try some heat around the hub flange, then tap or pry a little on the pulley. Don't force it so hard that you bend it!. Another trick is heat it, then dump water onto it to rapidly cool it. Try tapping and/or prying again. Then heat and cool it again. This usually causes the rust to break apart and let go.

o

yep, I pulled the 4 little bolts and gave it a few taps with a hammer. Tried pulling it off, but she won't give.
Anyway, I was able to work around it today, but sooner or later I'll have to change the water pump. I'll keep your tricks in mind.
thanks for your help.

jasper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here