Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Body style of Prius

Posted by honugirl (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 0:43

Just can't get over the wedge shape of the Prius!
My husband is determined to purchase a hybrid this year and thinks the Prius is the way to go. There was talk that the style would be more streamlined in 2015 but that doesn't look the case.
I suppose I should grow up and consider the more important factors. Okay, just venting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Body style of Prius

Of all of the hybrids out there, it is my opinion that the Prius is the best. Prius now comes in several models. Be sure to get the one that best fits your needs. Its my opinion that the original format, gas engine + electric alternator/motor is the best. I'm not sold on battery power alone; The driving range is too short for trips and the range falls if you need heat and lights on your commute. You'll need that gas tank and engine if you want to make a 400 mile trip to Aunt Mary's house.

In regard to fuel efficiency, a car powered by battery alone does not save fuel. It only looks that way because there is not a good method for computing fuel requirements. Sure, it looks good if you ignore the amount of fuel burned in a power station to charge the battery. The power plant is only a little more effificent than today's modern gas auto engines.

Places where losses occur:

1. Power plant efficiency
2. Conversion to high voltage for long distance distribution.
3. Line losses
4. Conversion to local distribution voltage.
5. Conversion from local distribution voltage to house voltage and local line losses.
6. Charger loss
7. Loss in the battery while charging.
8. Another battery loss when the charge comes out of the battery.

These losses are considerable and defeats the goal of lowered energy use per passenger mile.

o
RE: Body style of Prius

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge of the Prius.
Here I was considering only the exterior lines of the car...what a dope!
There will be modifications on the 2015 Models so will wait till summer to take a look.
Aloha Jemdandy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here