Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
88 chev silverado jolts when i accelerate

Posted by redcoon (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 22:57

1988 chev silverado 1500 2wd ex-cab 350 V8
month ago: add cleaner (marvel mystery oil sold @ walmart)
the following 2 tanks of gas the truck jolts everytime i step on the gas lightly and mildly similar to jolt-jolt-jolt-jolt--jolt

when it jolts it loses power
the jolts sound like CHunK

if i slam on the gas it doesn't seem to jolt

replaced fuel filter - no improvement

shop said "magnetic pickup coil" replaced that no good

every time i fill up its better (either doesn't do it at all or does it with a more mild jolt) till the gas runs low (1/3 tank) then it does it roughly again

No Check engine light

any ideas???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 88 chev silverado jolts when i accelerate

Have any trouble codes been set?

I'm guessing fuel feed problem, but it could be ignition too, such as a plug wires with too much resistance.

Maybe you need to run the fuel tank down to 1/3 full where the problem gets bad, and then take it in for a diagnostics.

o

As old as 88 Silverado is, its still pretty high tech. The first step is for a technician to address your trucks problem is to drive the vehicle and experience the symptom as you have described for (him/her)self, and then start testing from there. The last thing that you want to do is start guessing and throwing parts, and the next to the last thing is for me to write out a list of possible causes, which would be likely to cause you to start throwing parts (guessing). The seat of the pants feel that a seasoned technician has is one of the most valuable skills that they bring to work everyday. It takes decades to learn to a master technicians level, and the learning never ends, there is always something new to experience.

I'd advise schedule time for a tech to drive this and do some testing, then go from there.

o

On my 92 truck, I've had this happen two different time with two different issues. First off it just needed a tune up(wire and distributor too). But then about 2 years later it start acting pretty much the same and it needed a new fuel pump. If you haven't replaced the fuel pump in it, the chevy truck is prone to needing new fuel pumps, so I was told. I also have a 96 tahoe and it needed a fuel pump as well...same symptoms pretty much although not as drastic jolts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here