Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Car Sounds 'Forced' After Replacing Timing Belt

Posted by ggalv (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 11, 06 at 21:49

My car sounds "forced" after I replace the timing belt, balance shaft belt, two adjusters (pulleys) Water Pump AND Alternator and Air Conditioner Drive Belt.

When I press the gas pedal it makes a sound like "hmmmm" and sounds like its being forced a little. I think the car drives very similar to before I made these changes, except now it make a sound "hmmm" which was not there before.

Do you guys have any recommendations or advice what it could be?

THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Car Sounds 'Forced' After Replacing Timing Belt

Belt tension is the first thing to consider, too tight, or too loose can both make noise. Both can potentially cause a premature failre of the belt, and or pulleys as well. I recommend you start rechecking right there.

o

Thanks for the response. Are you talking about the "Timing Belt" - which is the belt that you cannot see. Or are you talking about the Air Conditioner and Alternator Belts, which are the ones you can see.

If you are talking about the Timing Belt, do we have to take out all the parts again, to readjust the tension?

THANKS

o

The timing belt uses an automatic tensioner( a spring loaded one for the Honda, replaced at 150K miles)..
It is possible to install a timing belt 180 degrees off, this causes poor running of the engine..
I think we should know more about this automobile..

o

We checked the timing belt, and yes it was 180 degrees off. Thanks, the car is running better now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here