Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4 Cylinder Dakotas, Any Good?

Posted by andyf (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 06 at 21:27

I'm looking at an ad for a 2000 Dakota Sport with 5 speed and 4 cylinders with 58000 miles.

Are these motors the super charged ones, or are they the mouse powered varieties?. I'll need to haul cordwood and pull a trailer on occasion. I remember the old IH Scouts had a powerful low rpm high torque 4 cylinder with a piston top the size of a desert plate. Are these engines any good for this weight vehicle with power to spare or does it barely handle the GVW?. What's gas like on these ?

Thanks

Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4 Cylinder Dakotas, Any Good?

The one's my friends had were of the mouse variety. It was ok for a small fishing boat every now and again. I'd never use it to pull anything serious. The Dakota's also come with bigger V6 and a V8. I'd get one of those if you like the body style best.
Or the 4.3 S-10's are fairly descent for a small truck. Nissan's newer Frontier would be my pick though. 265 hp V6 and 6 speed manual. I test drove one for a night and it seemed very worthy..just would come off the price at the time...they'd just come out then.

o

good for a boat anchor. if the body is straight drop a small block in it. better yet hit the auction, dakotas are a dime a dozen.

o

I have a '01 Dakota Quadcab 4.7L V8 Sport, and I did test drive both 4-cyl and 6-cyl before I decided on a V8. DO NOT GET a 4-Cyl Dakota if you are planning to tow ANYTHING. You will be very disappointed. I certainly don't remember seeing a supercharged 4-cyl Dakota at the dealership. Did they ever make one like that? The 2.5L 4-cyl Dakota is for light hauling and commuting IMO. Isn't that the same wimpy 4-cyl on PT? I know PT has 2 versions of turbo 4-cyl though.
By the way, my 4.7L V8 Dakota has served me very well for the past 5 years, mostly towing 4000 lbs boat/trailer, w/o any trouble at all. For non-towing driving, I get unbelievable 18~20 mpg average after installing an aftermarket exhaust pipe. The only Recall they had on my model was the passanger seat belt anchor bolt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here