SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonebloodyidle

What is a 'common rail' diesel engine?

bonebloodyidle
16 years ago

I had an Opel Vectra 2.0dti (this is badged as a Saturn Aura in the US) but a lady driving with her eyes shut forced me into a ditch where I hit a tree and bounced back into the path of an oncoming truck. My Vectra was written off by the insurance company and the police threw the book at the lady. Now we get down to business. I had my wreck towed to the garage I bought it from who only had one diesel car in stock. It was an Opel Astra 1.3cdti. I giggled at first, thinking that a 1.3 petrol car is gutless enough, let alone a 1.3 diesel. I let the salesman know about my concerns so he gave me the car on a week's free trial. All I can say is that witchcraft must take place under the bonnett of these common rail diesels. The performance they give is unbelievable for the cubic capacity available. I used to laugh at the Toyota adverts for their D4D engines, and the Nissan DCI, Ford TDCi etc... all saying they produce the same power output as a 2000cc diesel engine of yesteryear but I have been proven wrong. So what is a common rail diesel engine and how does it produce so much power from such a small cubic capacity?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus