Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fiero question, can't find the part I need!

Posted by carcrazy02 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 08 at 19:02

Hi! I have an 84 Pontiac Fiero. The other day I came home and turned the engine off and the radiator fan in the front stayed on. I disconnected the battery and have been searching for the part ever since. I think I need a relay, however, I can't find the part that is in my car at any auto parts store. I even went to the GM online and the part wasn't on their site! I looked for "radiator cooling fan relay", but maybe this one is called something else. When I unplug this part that is in the picture, the fan turns off, when I plug it in, the fan turns on... if the engine is running or not! Maybe it's called something else? Maybe it's just so old that I have to find it at a junk yard. I've checked Napa, Pep Boys, Advance, Autozone, and Central Auto Parts. None of them seem to have it!

This is a picture of what the one in my car looks like...

Photobucket

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: This is the wrong part Advance tried to sell me (first one)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fiero question, can't find the part I need!

Best bet is to go to a dealer and find the oldest partsman possible. He might remember it.

I bot a 84 Bonneville new. In 1994 I needed some small carburetor part that controlled the fast idle. I had the correct name as I had the shop manual. Well they changed the name over the years. Parts man took a flying lucky guess and came up with the right thing but had never "heard it called that before."

o

That piece in your hand, was every wire going to it black?

It looks like a grounding bar, or otherwise referred as a ground bus. Instead of making multiple splices, they use a "comb" inside of the bus and then connect as many grounds as they need to. I suspect the reason the fan turns off is because you are removing the ground to the control relay, or the fan ground itself.

Further diagnostics are required.......

o
RE: fiero question, ,can't find the part I need!

Oh, and about that "old" comment...... VBG....

o

if you find the fan relay let me know because i need one to thanks

o

What does that harness connect to????

I have that same part just lying under my driver's side headlight. (disconnected)

I have searched everywhere for the end to plug it into, but to no avail. Also, my fan hasn't worked since I bought the car a few months ago.

o

Fieros... a partsman's nightmare. Good luck. Your best bet may be to find a fiero club in your area.

o

you can buy this relay in acdelco (part number 15-8212)fan relay 2 stages.
if anyone can buy this relay for me letme know because i live in mexico and i cant get this relay.
thanks

o

Perhaps look here...

Here is a link that might be useful: coolant fan switch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here