Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Power door locks gone crazy!

Posted by redsquirrel_42 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 18:36

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager
The power door locks and door sensors go nuts, especially when the vehicle is cold. The locks click, the door is ajar warning flashes, the interior lights flash on and off. Sometimes, reclosing all the doors helps, but sometimes not. What's happening? What can I do about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Power door locks gone crazy!

The most likely cause is a door jam switch issue that is falsely signaling a door opening. I would start by monitoring the door swtich inputs to the BCM. They are available in serial data discretely. You do have to consider the possiblity of a wiring harness grounding.

Barring that, you will have to disconnect switches one at a time from the BCM, until you find the one that stops the symptom, then go find out what is wrong with that circuit.

o

Lucky...

I disagree again with the quick run to try a temporary fix. At the least it is time wasted, at the worst it could make the job simply harder to actually solve if you then cause a "hide and go seek" intermittent.

Follow correct troubleshooting routines, and go straight at the problem. That means, a qualified technician with the correct O.E. scan tool, which for this car is the Chrysler DRBIII. With that tool I can monitor the serial data directly and see which input is causing the BCM to make what appears to be an erroneous decision. The diagnostics continue from there and then only on the speciific circuit involved.

o

Back in 1992 I had a Ford Sierra as a company car. The insulation on the wires going from the body to the doors wore through and the wires for the central locking shorted out. That lead to some very entertaining (and awkward at times) events as it also set off the alarm and enabled the immobiliser whenever it felt like it. Usually at junction 9 on the M6 on a Wednesday morning on my way to a meeting in Birmingham.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here