Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank

Posted by twinklenose (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 18:10

Hi!
Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly going on with my 2000 Hyundai Accent? This past week, on 4 separate occasions, the pump will only put in a couple cents' worth of gasoline, then keep stopping. It only started about a week ago, and the first time I thought it was a faulty pump, because my gauge inside clearly indicated it was down to half a tank.
But today this same thing happened for the 4th time--different pumps, different places (but same brand)
I've been buying gas from there always, so what's suddenly the deal??
I even tried removing the nozzle completely then reinserting it, no improvement.
Operating the nozzle manually didn't help, either.
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank

The automatic nozzle shut-off is sensing a pressure in the fill tube which is indicative of a full tank. An early shut-off can be triggered if the fuel is not flowing freely into the tank.
Angling the fuel nozzle into the fill pipe differently usually does the trick. i.e. Holding the handle up instead of letting it hang down, or rotate it a bit in the fill tube mouth. Also, make sure the compression cuff around the nozzle is fully in contact with the mouth of the fill tube, and compressed against it.

o

This is not an uncommon complaint. Air and fuel vapors in the tank have to escape to allow the fuel to go in. The normal path is through the carbon canister which traps the fuel vapors and allows the air to pass. Either the vent valve is stuck closed, the filter (if used) is dirty, the opening for the filter/vent valve is obstructed with debris such as an insect cocoon, or in some cases the canister itself has plugged up.

You will need a technician familiar with evaporative emission systems to test and find out whats wrong.

o

Thank you both, so much, for responding.
My mechanic will check it this week to see if the vent is stopped up.
meanwhile, I'll just try to bear with it.
My son asked me yesterday if I was having 'issues' with the gas pump.:)
I'll say!!!

o

Hi Twinklenose,
This is my first time posting here, as I frequent other GW forums more often. I have a 2002 Sonata and a year ago my car was doing the same thing.

It took quite a while for the mechanics to figure out what was wrong, but they eventually did. I can't think off-hand what the exact problem was. I love my Hyundai dealership, they worked at it till they got it right, and absorbed a lot of the costs.

Good luck!

o

I am going out on a limb here but I suspect that last post was from a less then suttle dealer or dealership employee! In my experience and opinoon the dealership is always the most exspensive!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here