Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low Oil Message

Posted by bucky (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 15:52

Hi guys! Been awhile since I posted. Since having the oil changed on my wifes 07 Malibu Maxx last week, the information screen has flashed a low oil level message. The idiot light on the dash has not come on at all. The oil level is fine. Any idea what could cause this to occur?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low Oil Message

I don't know how Chevy measures oil level. so everything here is a guess.

1. The idot light probably indicates low oil pressure. The oil level can be low and there still be good oil pressure except while negotiating turns.

2. Something wrong in the oil level sense system, maybe the sensor.

3. Maybe after startng the engine, there is a quart or more oil sitting under the valve covers - the oil is cold and is not draining back to the pan, possibly the drainways are partly plugged.

o

Is that with the v6 or the 4cyl?

o

Its the V6 engine. As the pressure and oil level are okay I'll follow-up on your sensor idea. Thanks a lot.

o

There is a sensor inside the oil pan that the PCM uses to detect the engine oil level. I looked briefly to see if I could find a service reference for it, because I seem to recall hearing about a potential issue where the sensor does not report the oil level correctly. I did not find any TSB's on the thing when I checked, but that does not mean that the sensor or wiring harness for it do not need attention.

o

Thanks for the heads up on this John D and John G. I'll have my mechanic check it out first thing.

o

Fellas: Problem was a bad oil level sensor in the oil pan. Had it replaced at the GM dealership under warranty. According to the GM Service Tech these sensors are pretty touchy and prone to failure. Thanks for the help on this John G and Jemdandy

Bucky

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here