Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY Tinting?

Posted by theonecalledl (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 06 at 15:30

Anyone ever bought a DIY kit from this website or know of any reviews? http://www.diytint.com/

I have a little 1987 2dr Nissan Sunny that I'll have for only about 6 months left and I wanted to see how hard it would be to tint it myself.(I'm probably going to give my car away to a friend that'll be around for another year after I leave.)

Also, I'm not going to attempt to do the back of the car. Anyone know how much it would cost to have a professional put the tint in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY Tinting?

DIY as having a pro do this may exceed the car's value.This is ,IMO, a good vehicle on which to learn.

o

Check with your state and local codes about how much (dark) tinting is allowed. In many places, if the tint is too dark to permit a Law Officer to view the occupants, then its too dark.

o

I tinted all the windows on all three of my trucks. As long as the windows were flat it was easy and both S-10's never peeled the entire 8 yrs and 4 yrs I owned them. Just got the Sierra, hasn't had time to peel. I could never do the curved glass right.
I know that they make a kit for curved glass that comes in strips which is supposed to make it easier.
Good luck with it.

o

All of my cars have been professionally done, and I watch how they do it each time.
I thought once it looked so easy I'd give it a try. WHAT a mess. I didn't have the experience, or proper materials for the job.
I talked to my window tinter and he said the stuff we buy in stores is hard to work with and crinkles. His professional tint is more pliable. He also has a very clean garage for this. (My trial had dust, dirt, hair etc. caught in-between the window and tint. As said above, windows with a curve are a nightmare.

What I have done successfully is tint all the windows of my home. The windows are obviously flat and give me more room to work. No tight areas either! I did an okay job. Still have the problem of dog hair floating in the air and ending up in-between the glass and tint! But you can't tell from the outside. Has saved my utility bills by cutting down on the hot sun entering the house.

Good luck!

o

I also just found out the local tint shop near me uses a computer cutter to cut the tint to each vehicle. As a bonus they'll sell you the tint pre-cut for your car for $25 for the side windows(both) and 30 for the back on trucks and 40 for car rear windows.
Which pre-cut would make it alot easier. Never tired it that way but I know the cutting part is the hardest. But if you can hang wall paper or just have a steady hand and a sharp e-xacto knife you should be fine. I use a bondo squeege(sp?) to gently push the air bubbles and excess water/soap mixture out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here